Philadelphia Union vs. Real Salt Lake: Luck of the Draw

On an overcast Saturday afternoon at PPL Park, The Philadelphia Union hosted Real Salt Lake in front of a sold-out crowd.

The Union looked like they had scored the game’s first game in the 22nd minute when Sebastian Le Toux sent a ball from teammate Keon Daniel into the net past Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando. However, the goal was quickly called off by the official who said that Daniel had been off-sides when he had received the ball initially from Jordan Harvey.

Moments later, Philadelphia’s Michael Farfan found Daniel in the penalty area where he connected on a header to score his first MLS goal and put the Union on top 1-0.

The Union continued to attack in the first half but shots from Le Toux and Carlos Valdés both nailed the post and despite five shots on goal and four corner kicks, Philadelphia wasn’t able to increase its lead. At the half, the score remained 1-0 in favor of Philadelphia.

Shortly after the second half got underway in the 53rd minute, Farfan turned the ball over to Real Salt Lake forward Jean Alexandre who found Fabián Espíndola in the Philadelphia end. Espindola connected on a long kick past Union GK Faryd Mondragon to tie the game at 1-1.

Despite the added energy from second half substitutes Roger Torres, Justin Mapp, and Jack McInerney, Philadelphia never found their rhythm in the second half and was unable to put the score back into their favor. Philadelphia’s second leading scorer, Carlos Ruiz (three goals), did not play as he is currently playing for his home country in the Gold Cup.

With the tie, the Union fall into a tie for first place with the New York Red Bulls. Their next match will take place over 3,000 miles from home when they travel to Vancouver to take on the White Caps before returning home for home games against Kansas City (June 22nd) and Chivas USA (June 25th).

[Photo credits: Michael Green]

Photo slideshow below:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


%d bloggers like this: