Start the countdown. We are at the final stretch. There are only 3 weeks left until we return to one of our favorite destinations, Rothbury, Michigan, for one of our favorite festivals, Electric Forest. For those of you that have not attended Electric Forest in the past, be prepared for what is sure to be one of your best festival experiences to date. Between the music, the people, and the overall ambiance there is truly no better festival out there. Not to mention the festival is one of the best managed events we’ve been to. Last year for instance, there were excessive watering holes to fill up your Camelpaks and water bottles (no lines ever), delicious dining options (we ate naanwiches – yes, you read that right, sandwiches on fresh naan bread), amazing art installments, and, possibly most important of all, clean bathrooms. So whether you are returning to the forest or venturing for the first time get excited – We will all be home soon.
With this we bring you Independent Philly’s Top 10 Must See Acts of Electric Forest 2014:
1. Ms. Lauryn Hill – the former member of the world renowned hip hop group The Fugees has been on a notoriously long hiatus from music and the public eye, but long and behold, she is returning to the stage in style performing alongside the talented String Cheese Incident.
2. Tycho – Since the release of his CD Awake at the start of the year Tycho has been on fire. This ambient project is a one man production but has recently been touring with a full band to back his synthorganic sound which we will have the pleasure of experiencing at forest.
3. Kygo – the 22 year old Norweigan producer has had uncanny success over the last year and has quickly been brought into the spotlight with a guest mix appearance on Diplo and Friends. Kygo has his own signature sound and his remixes display his ability to provide a completely new take on a classic such as his remix of Ed Sheeran’s I See Fire.
4. Dantiez Saunderson – Some would say Dantiez was conditioned from a young age for success being raised in a musically rich family with his father Kevin Saunderson, the techno pioneer, and his mother, Ann Saunderson, a singer and songwriter. Dantiez has followed in his father’s footsteps playing that authentic Detroit tech sound. Who knows – maybe we will get a father son set.
5. Moby – is there really anything more we need to say? Moby has been a staple of the festival scene for the last several years and you can always count on Moby to put together a unique and eclectic sounding set. Moby is truly the master of meshing global sounds with the standard house beat insuring that your feet do not stop moving.
6. Golf Clap – this deep house duo has been receiving a lot of attention over the last year and was recently voted the best electronic artist in Detroit by online magazine Real Detroit. The duo has a reputation for their extensive discography and crowd pleasing mixes and classify their music as peak hour deep house.
7. Manic Menert – (Manic Focus x Michal Menert) – a last minute edition to the bill, but oh how excited we are that the Pretty Light Music superstar will be providing us with a taste of his electro funk side project with Manic Focus. The two met at Forest last year and have been collaborating and working together since.
8. Cosby Sweater – not only do they have possibly the greatest name ever, but their live electronic music is something that is only rightfully listened to live. The trio has grown immensely in popularity over the last year and we cannot get enough of the Saxophone.
9. Dusky – the 2 man UK based deep house duo found gracing the cover of DJ Mags April edition is giving us a treat with a rare US appearance. Brace yourself to get in deep in the forest with their sensual heart pounding house beats.
10. Luke the Knife – for those of you that are not aware Luke the Knife is Luke Miller of Lotus. His DJ side project takes us to the funkier side of the spectrum. Luke has a knack for providing us with a light taste of the disco era meshed perfectly with modern undertones.
Aside from our top 10 must see acts be sure to keep you ears open for all of the surprise sets and collaborations that will surely be taking place all over the Forest. It’s going to be tough to top the Big Grizmatik set last from summer, but who knows, we might get a Lauryn Hill String Tribe McGee super group set.
We’ll also be sure to catch: STS9, Glitch Mob, Art Department, Andy C, Dirtyphonics, Justin Martin, Cut Copy, Trippy Turtle, Cashmere Cat, and Paper Diamond.
To help you get in more excited for Electric Forest this week, we’re dropping our exclusive Independent Philly Electric Forest 2014 Mix (by the talented Ethan Dubb). It features many of the artists from this year’s Electric Forest line-up and you can rock out to that right here:
7. ?????? – ???????? ??? & ????
Ethan DUBB is a DJ/Producer from New Jersey. He is a founding member of Philly’s own Twurkaholics and Moombaholics crews.
Tune into his live radio Show on Eardrum Beatdown Radio Tuesdays from 8-10pm. www.eardrumbeatdown.com
[Article by Dan Drufovka]